Orange and Olive Oil Cake
Recipe Courtesy of Les Moulins Mahjoub, maker of extraordinary olive oil!
INGREDIENTS (yields one 9-inch cake, serves 10-12 people)
Butter for greasing the pan
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp. grated orange zest
2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (the juice from about 2 oranges)
2/3 cup Les Moulins Mahjoub Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Butter a springform pan (or pans) or a 9-inch cake pan. (If using a cake pan, place a round of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan.)
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With an electric mixer, beat the eggs until blended, then gradually add in the sugar, beating until thick. The mixture will be pale yellow. In a separate bowl, whisk the zest, juice and oil. Add to the egg mixture in thirds alternating with the flour mixture.
- Spread batter into pan and bake for about 50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on rack for 15 minutes.
- Sift confectioners’ sugar over top before cutting and serving.