Salad with Prosciutto and Caramelized Pears
This salad incorporates the fresh and savory tastes of Italy. This dish is excellent for an appetizer or finger food at a party.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4-6)
- 2 cups orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp. Cattani Olivewood Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp. white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup and 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. dry white wine
- black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 pears, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1/4 lbs. Pio Tosini Prosciutto di Parma, thinly sliced
- 2 heads red leaf lettuce, or lettuce of your choice, washed
For the Dressing:
Heat orange juice over medium-high heat in a saucepan, whisking often, until it is reduced by 1/4. Add that to a blender with vinegar, onion, 1 tbsp. brown sugar, wine, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth. Slowly drizzle in extra virgin olive oil with the blender on a slow speed, and process again. Chill until ready to use.
For the Pears:
Melt the butter over medium heat and add the pears and walnuts. Cook for 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar, some water, and cook. Stir constantly, until caramelized. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
For the Salad:
Combine the strips of prosciutto, lettuce, and the pear and walnut mixture in a large bowl. Add just enough dressing to coat and toss. Serve on a large platter.