M’Hamsa Salad, A Traditional Tunisian Dish
This hearty and refreshing salad combines the many flavors of the Tunisian harvest, and uses several Mahjoub products found in our collection. There is no need to salt the dish, as the capers provide the salt already! It was introduced to the Rogers Collection by the Mahjoub family in Tunisia.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
- 1 1/3 cup of Les Moulins Mahjoub M’Hamsa Whole Wheat Couscous
- 1 large onion, julienned
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup sliced Les Moulins Mahjoub Artichokes in Oil
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 preserved Les Moulins Mahjoub Natural Preserved Lemon, rind only, diced or slices!
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 tbsp. sun-dried Les Moulins Mahjoub Wild Mountain Capers in Sea Salt
- 2 tbsp. Les Moulins Mahjoub Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. dried mint or 1 tbsp. fresh mint
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar
Put two quarts of water into a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Add a pinch of salt. Pour the M’hamsa couscous into the saucepan and gently stir to ensure that the grains are evenly distributed. Turn down the heat and cook uncovered over low heat for 7-8 minutes until the couscous is “al dente.” Turn off the heat and drain the water.
Add two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and gently stir it into the couscous. Pour the couscous into a large bowl to cool on the counter.
When the couscous is cold, add the julienned onion, diced tomatoes, diced green pepper, sliced artichokes, preserved lemon, diced cucumber, mint, and vinegar. Mix gently with a wooden spoon and put into the refrigerator to chill for half an hour.