Mahjoub Family Lablabi
This is a traditional Tunisian chickpea stew, but it utilizes many of the high quality Mahjoub products, harvested at full flavor. It was introduced to the Rogers Collection by the Mahjoub family in Tunisia.
- 2 cups dry chickpeas or 2 16oz. cans cooked chickpeas
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 4 tsp. Les Moulins Mahjoub Harissa Spread
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Halen Mon Pure White Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Les Moulins Mahjoub Wild Mountain Capers
- 4 tsp. Les Moulins Mahjoub Preserved Lemons, rind only, diced
- 4 tsp. Les Moulins Mahjoub Sun-dried Tomatoes, diced
- 4 tsp. Les Moulins Mahjoub Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 slices of day old bread, broken into small pieces
If using dried chickpeas, wash them and soak them overnight. Then bring to a boil, add 1 tsp. of salt, reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender. If using canned chickpeas, open the cans, rinse, and drain. Put chickpeas and garlic into a large saucepan and over with water.
While the beans are simmering with garlic, tear up one slice of bread into the bottom of each soup bowl. When the beans are tender, ladle the beans with their cooking broth into the bowls. Top each of the bowls with 1 tsp. of preserved lemons, 1 tsp of sun dried tomatoes, 1 tsp. of harissa, 1/4 tsp. of ground cumin, and a few capers. Finish each bowl with 1 tsp. of extra virgin olive oil.